Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Lely Resort Mustang Course (Naples, FL)

My first blog of the new year begins in the beautiful city of Naples Florida. The Lely Resort has three courses to choose from and the Mustang is credited as a Lee Trevino design. Every course at the resort is kept in pristine condition. The price to play reflects this but thankfully it was free for me since I was a guest of my cousin who is a member here. The Mustang is considered the easiest of the three. It’s wide fairways and abundant playing areas allows players to find their ball and advance it forward. 


(The 150/128 yard par three eighth has an angled green who’s central bunker must be carried to attack most pin positions. A wide expanse of fairway short lets weaker players make the carry and still have a chance for par.) 

I liked the Mustang’s overall look. It wasn’t overly mounded and flowed well from tee to green. Some of the water hazards leaked into the landing areas so one had to be aware. This meant playing some of the doglegs honestly with no ability to cut the corners. Longer hitters can take the risk and gain a huge advantage if they’re successful. Most of the green complexes are elevated but they have openings to run the ball on. 


(The 142/131 yard par three fifth is a lovely shot over the wetlands. It’s all carry with bunkers guarding the front.) 

Architecturally, centerline bunkers are used on a few holes, specifically 3 and 18, and force the golfer to make a decision on how to attack. Many of the holes move one way or the other and even the straight ones positioned the bunkers so one has to tact their way around the trouble. 


(The 141/126 yard par three sixteenth has a lima shaped green that curves behind the water, rocks, and sand.) 

Lely’s Mustang course is the classic definition of what resort golf should be… fun, playable, and scoreable. I really enjoyed the course and it’s pristine condition made for an even better day. It has all the ingredients that makes a snowbird’s game solid. I give it a 5 (good)(worth driving an hour to play).


(The yardages I listed were from the green and white tees. The black tees will ratchet up the challenge less one thinks it’s too easy.) 

[we played from the green tees which at 6627 yards is a tad more than I like to play. Usually I’m hitting a lot of fairway metal and hybrid approach shots at this distance. I had a chance to break 80 but I bogeyed three of the last four holes. I always have a hard time getting used to the golf when I arrive in Florida. It’s a different game than what we have back home.]









No comments:

Post a Comment