Saturday, August 6, 2016

Paul Walker Golf Course (Bowling Green, KY)

Staying with the nine hole golf courses. Next up is Paul Walker Golf Course in Bowling Green Kentucky. 
(The 165 yard eighth is my favorite hole. Not only is the setting beautiful, but the bunker on the front right side shrinks the putting surface visible from the tee.)

On my trip to Mammoth Cave, I stayed in Bowling Green, and my original intent was to play Crosswinds, but the city championship was being held there, so I found myself at Paul Walker which is a half mile down the road. 

Paul Walker is nestled in the older part of town, and it adjoins to a park. It was a relaxing location, and I can understand it's popularity. It's a great place for beginners and high handicappers. I'm not saying it's a push over, just that it has a flow to it. It gets people around, let's them find their ball, and provides a lot of enjoyment. 
(The 291 yard ninth hole is a good birdie opportunity. Two observations. Look at the bunker in foreground. I like how it's cut into the mounds. Also, it can trap long hitters who miss the tee shot. Then the trap at the green. Like eight, it shrinks the view of the green.) 

The course was designed in 1936, but has no architect on file. I like the greens and how they were pushed up just a few feet above the fairway. The bunkers had a sweeping motion, and hid the view behind them. I thought the course was more sophisticated than my first impression. The only negative was the fairways, which I felt were kept at too high a height. The greens were beautiful. They replaced them with Champion Bermuda, and the ball rolled smoothly on them. All in all, Paul Walker is a nice place to learn the game.  I give it a 3 (average)(worth 15 min drive) 
(Quaint little clubhouse is a fine place to discuss post round heroics.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment