Friday, June 9, 2017

North Hills Municipal (Corry, PA)

During my stay at Peak n Peek, I snuck off to play golf at North Hills Muni, just 10 miles south on rt 426. Ed Ault designed it in 1971. Ault was a prolific architect, and he claimed that he personally either renovated, did an addition, or designed twenty-five percent of all the courses in the Mid-Atlantic region. For golfers in northeast ohio, his work can be found at the difficult Windmill Lakes. 
(The short par four eighth displays all the natural beauty found in the rolling hills of Pennsylvania.) 

Ault designed many courses for local and state authorities. I find that interesting because his courses are demanding. North Hills pushes that with length and tree lined holes throughout the round. 
(The 450 yard opener drops downhill...
...traps guard the green but do leave an opening for a low runner.)

From the back tees, the course is not even 6300 yards, but four par threes over 190 yards makes this a tough place to break ones handicap. 
(At 213 yards, the partially visible green at eleven calls for a draw that takes on the creek.) 

North Hills is a nice course for the locals. It's a good alternative for players who might want a break from Peak n Peek Upper. It s a solid track and one that will make a player hit quality shots. I believe that is the crux of Ed Ault's design philosophy. He makes reasonable courses with solid shot values that are easy to maintain. Besides eleven, the creek in the valley is not used too much. 
He let's the setting speak for itself, and is not afraid to define the playing corridors with multiple trees. In fact, the hardwoods are the main hazard here. 
It's a classical parkland course, I do feel that the bunker style is somewhat bland. They're not very deep, and they're placement reminds me of RTJ's or been Robert Harris's formulaic structure. 

I didn't mind playing here and I enjoyed myself, but I'll be the first to admit North Hills gets a lil boring. Needless to say, a fine 4 in my book. (Above average)(worth 30-40 min drive) 
(The par five seventh shows the lack of great land movement as the valley holes pretty much go back n forth.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment