Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hillandale Golf Course (Durham, NC)

I played Hillandale the same year I played The Neuse in 1998, nearly seventeen years ago. Honestly I don't remember the golf course all that well, but I remember it had one of the coolest features I've ever seen. On the back nine, there were three holes in a row that had double greens. These greens were separated by several yards with ground features and hazards of their own. The holes changed dramatically depending on which green was in play. I really like the idea and I could envision a superb piece of land that's small in nature where double greens make eighteen holes while only using seven or less fairways. 


Hillandale was designed by Donald Ross in 1911, and what really caught my eye at the time was the reference it was tweeked by Perry Maxwell. I read recently that George Cobb tweeked it, so I'm unsure. Nonetheless, it's a cool little muni in Durham and it hosts several local tournaments throughout the year. When I played it, my friends were beginners and it accommodated them handily. 3 (average) rating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment