Saturday, September 19, 2015

Weymouth CC (Medina, OH)

Weymouth is one of the most disappointing places I've played. The very first hole threw me off! I looked down the fairway, and saw a sand trap straightaway, thinking it was a short par four, only to be told that's where the fairway doglegs left towards the green. 
Excuse me, but where do you hit the ball to?! 

(Many of the holes were like this too. I felt the tee shots were awkward, and the doglegs bent too much.)

Next are the par fives.  I thought they were just flat out boring!! There was really a lack of creativity, little challenge if playing as a three shot hole, and just because water fronts a green doesn't make it a good!! No wonder Shale Creek is doing so well! One play at Weymouth and it's no question Shale is a much more interesting course!

At least the par threes were decent. My favorite was the seventh. 
A shallow valley fronts the green, making the left bunker even more visually intimidating. Some good internal contouring makes for some interesting shots. The eleventh over the water creates some tension on the tee. 
It's a redundant motif that one can find on a slew of courses, but it stands out here. I think fifteen is the most solid par three. It's long, has enough ground contour to make it interesting, and comes at a point in the round where a three is needed to keep the momentum. 

There were two holes I felt were really good, the thirteenth and sixteenth. Thirteen had a cool green, a wide but shallow putting surface that was protected by a little valley short.
A high soft shot is required here.  Then at sixteen, I thought the drive was really well presented. 
I loved how it doglegged left while going up the slope. 

Weymouth is a Cornish designed golf course. I've played a couple of his and many consider his style to be traditional. Stow Acres fit that description well, but Weymouth didn't, and I almost feel there wasn't enough land here, which might explain the awkward doglegs. For a private course, I was really disappointed, and without a doubt, coupling with Fox Meadows and Signature was a good move for their membership. It's just a 3 (average). I won't be going out of my way to play it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment