Sunday, May 31, 2015

Thoroughbred Golf Club (Rothbury, Michigan)

The Thoroughbred was designed by Art Hills in 1993. When I played there, I met the owner and he told me how Hills was chosen. They had sent property specs to several architects and had made a time to meet with everyone. Hills showed up late that night, Wally thinking he might broken down. When Hills introduced 
himself, Wally asked why didn't he show up at the meeting. Hills replied "because I was walking the golf course." Thus he was hired. 

I can't believe I still remember that story after nearly twenty years. It was one of the first times I revolved a getaway around a place I read in golf digest. The Double JJ is a cowboy ranch, so horseback riding for the wife plus golfing for me seemed like an excellent idea. 

As for the Thoroughbred, I remember it being nationally acclaimed as soon as Hills designed it. He was getting a lot of recognition for his work back then and Thoroughbred was just another solid course. 
The eighteenth was the hole all the publications were talking about. It's an L shaped par five where players had to chose a line from the tee for their carry to the fairway. Multiple lines of play make this a super exciting finishing hole! 

The michigan topography is excellent for golf. The above pic is the fourth hole, another reachable par five. As you can see, its a lot of pressure to take on the challenge. 

Silver Lake Dunes is just down the street from Rothbury and combined with the Double JJ, makes for a great wknd or getaway. If you're in the area, then it's a great course to play. I give it a 6 (very good) rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment