Saturday, August 1, 2015

Stow Acres CC (Stow, MA)

I played here sixteen years ago, and I learned a very valuable lesson. Just because the USGA plays one of their national  championships at a specific course, it doesn't mean that said course is a great place. I'm not saying the North course is bad, it's just the South course looked sooo good. It has rolling hills and valleys. And the North has...more length. And that is a huge factor in what they look for in their championship. 

There are three things that I can recall about Stow Acres. I remember the fourth, a 421 yard par four whose green is protected by water short and left. I hit a five wood onto the green, a pretty incredible shot for me back then. 

The eighteenth is a par five finish. 
The fairway narrows considerably, with the left side providing the only "entrance" for a short iron third shot. 

I do remember the large greens being simple enough to hit. However, a few had what I would call "Sunday pins" where the green narrows or forms a tight little pin placement. So there's plenty of options to make it difficult. 

Finally, the yellow clapboard clubhouse remains one of my favorite clubhouses of all time. 
It just has a grace to it. With the putting green next to it, and the patio on the side, it seems like a great place to while away the day. The North is probably a 4 (above average). I wished I would've listened to my gut and played the South. 

No comments:

Post a Comment