Monday, March 21, 2016

Fort Sill Golf Course (Lawton, OK)

If you ever find yourself in Lawton Oklahoma, then you're probably in boot camp at Fort Sill Army Base. I was here for commencement. Oklahoma in August is very hot, and days regularly reach up into triple digit temps. I had a few hours to kill late one afternoon and so I played nine holes at Fort Sill. 

Fort Sill is a "Lefty" Mace design built back in the forties. It takes good advantage of Medicine Creek, and the last few holes are defended by it. I looked to me that the greens were redone, they had a different a shape to them compared to the fairways and tee boxes. It must be remembered that Fort Sill is a facility that caters to beginners, civilians such as myself, and officers.  (Basically the course was designed so the officers had a place to play.) 

Fort Sill isn't going to turn any heads or make any rankings list, but it is going to give many men (and women) a great deal of enjoyment, especially the military personnel who might otherwise be bored to death trying to find an activity to kill the boredom in the middle of nowhere. I have vague memories of the holes, but I do recall enjoying myself. (And making birdie on the eighteenth hole!) Fort Sill is a 3 (average). 

No comments:

Post a Comment