
There are two types of golfers, dew sweepers and sun chasers, and I was the first one the morning I stopped by Pine Valley. This is a mom and pop course out in the beautiful countryside of Medina county. It was established in 1962 by Chris Deming.

(The 353/341 yard par four eleventh plays along the boundary line to a green fronted by sand. A crease extends through the putting surface, separating the front from the back.)
(The 121/105 yard par three twelth is a fun little hole. It’s just a short pitch with a gaping front bunker.)
This is a course I never knew existed until my friend Al showed it to me after our round at The Pines in Orville. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised because this area off Rt 21 used to have multiple courses that are NLE. (Barberton Brookside and Western Reserve are the first two that come to mind) Pine Valley is a fine mom n pop course. It is in nice shape and the greens are way better than what you’d expect. The land by the clubhouse is relatively open, but the further the holes venture into the property, the denser and tighter the trees get. Some people like this, and I’m not totally opposed, but it can get old quickly if you’re having a bad day. I only played the back, but 14-17 were really tight, and these were the holes I lost all of my strokes.

(The 388/376 yard par four fourteenth is the beginning of four tight holes in a row. This green is elevated on a slight plateau.)

(The 223/212 yard par three seventeenth is shockingly long for a course of this stock. The tees are back in a chute of trees and a low running fairway metal can scamper onto the putting surface. A par here is like a birdie.)
I’m trying to see every course in northeast Ohio, the public ones at least, and in the process, learn if any are worth a visit from the CNCGA. Pine Valley is an interesting candidate. Its central location makes it optimal for us and its price point would help alleviate the higher priced rounds at other venues. Its architectural quality is the only thing in question. I have a feeling it might have too much mom n pop to it. I give it a 3 (average)(worth driving 30 minutes to play).

(Pine Valley’s claim to fame is its connection to American Blind Golf. They’ve been supporting disabled golfers, particularly those with vision frailties, and this summer will host the 32 Phoenix Cup, an international matchplay competition.)

(The 498/471 yard par five eighteenth doglegs left around the driving range. Aggressive players can try to cut across the OB stakes. If one is content playing as a three shot hole, then it should take away the pressure of driving it past the corner. The fairway drops the last fifty yards and reveals a green benched into the upslope. The backdrop of the clubhouse makes it a fitting finish.)
Blog 519
No comments:
Post a Comment