Monday, August 23, 2021

Rolling Green Golf Club (Huntsburg, OH)

I guess I’m bound to find a few clunkers in my travels. Rolling Green made my list because I was curious to see Richard LaConte’s work. He was a local guy who did Airport Greens in Wickliffe, a course I believe he actually owned. I didn’t have any expectations but Rolling Green turned out to be a big disappointment.


(One of the few highlights is this nice par three over the reservoir.)

The conditioning was very poor. I know the grass was Kentucky Blue, but there is no difference between the fairways and rough. It’s all the same height. The width of the fairways is ridiculously narrow too. I also don’t think they have an irrigation system. There was a lot of crusty spots in the fairways and rough. 


(The most interesting hole was this dogleg left short par four where the reservoir was inside the curve.) 

There is very little on the front nine that is even worth talking about. The long 470 yard par four fifth was possibly the best hole. It played up and over a slight rise before leveling off in the trees. It’s followed by a long par three over a pond. The back nine is much better with some good land movement that makes several of the par fours more palatable. Starting at the eleventh and playing through to the end, these holes are more enjoyable to play. Rolling Green has a good set of bones to work with, but I reckon that it’s rural location keeps it off most northeast Ohio golfer’s radar. 


(The long par three six has two hazards to carry.) 

The highlight of my round at Rolling Green was watching the two Amish girls in full length cotton dresses and hair bonnets take healthy whacks off with their driver. Surprisingly, the course was steadily busy in spite of its deficiencies. I guess golf really is becoming popular. I give it a 2 (below average).


No comments:

Post a Comment